Erik Jeffrey Wright
- 2003, degree, Weatherford High School, Weatherford Texas. Concentrations in Advanced Placement English and History.
- 2006, Anthropology and Archaeological Studies, Pima College, Tucson, Arizona. Co-founder and first president of college’s Archaeological Club.
- Honor's Society
Select Professional Employment History
2001 to Present
The Tombstone Epitaph / True West Magazine / Wild West History Association Journal
- Research, writes, and publishes a variety of popular and scholarly papers on the history of the American West and 18th-century British Pacific exploration.
- Present lectures and other presentations to various groups and organizations
- Consult with local museums and historical societies
- Consult with national history publications and develops articles, book reviews for publication
- Assist in editing and proof-reading for national history publications, manage author interviews
- Assist colleagues around the globe in their research projects
- Acquire grants for use in projects
September 2016 to present
Director, Greene County Office of Emergency Management
Greene County Government, Paragould, Arkansas
- Oversees the on-going revision and maintenance of the Greene County Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan and Emergency Support Functions, the Hazard Mitigation Plan and other emergency management plans, policies, and procedures.
- Coordinates revisions with changing federal, state, and local agency programs. Keeps a current resource list identifying pertinent outside agencies.
- Administers emergency management programs such as Emergency Worker registration.
- Responsible for maintenance, operation, activation, and support of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
- Coordinates the provision of federal disaster relief programs. Gathers supporting data and applies for disaster assistance.
- Develops budget for emergency management program.
- Research grant funding, prepares grant applications, and administers grant agreements.
- Coordinates, supervises, and trains volunteers and EOC activation staff.
- Develops and provides emergency preparedness education programs and other emergency management training and exercises for schools, businesses, community organizations, and the public.
- Serves as a representative of the County to city, state, and federal agencies, civic groups and the media in matters pertaining to emergency management.
- Ensures planning, equipment, training, and exercise priorities identified in local threats and needs assessments are included and prioritized in regional council work plans and programs.
- Assures compliance with federal exercise programs.
- Works with response agencies to identify planning needs and best methods for accomplishing objectives.
- Provides support to all-hazards emergency planning efforts of counties, cities, communities, and public organizations.
- Coordinates the development of regional and local hazard and risk assessments to determine emergency management planning priorities.
- Identifies volunteer opportunities for citizens to contribute to local homeland security and preparedness efforts.
- Ensure grant related activities and accountability for funds follow local, state, and federal guidelines.
- Publish numerous articles on preparedness and local and regional activities for the International Association of Emergency Managers and local newspaper
2014 to 2016
Paragould Daily Press
- General duty assignment staff writer responsible for daily coverage of breaking news, governmental affairs, and special features
- Maintain contact with city and county officials and attend monthly meetings to determine potential articles and upcoming events
- Assist colleagues in collaborative articles as needed
- Produce quality articles on a daily deadline
2007 to 2012
WestLand Resources, Inc. / Old Pueblo Archaeology Center
- Conduct salvage archaeological surveys across Arizona
- Led multi-man crews in dangerous terrain
- Coordinated with clients to ensure timely completion of project
- Taught public survey and excavation courses at Yuma Wash Site (Marana, Arizona)
- Assist in laboratory with cleaning and classification of excavated artifacts
- Work on multiple prehistoric and historic excavations
- Participated in larges mining reclamation project in Arizona history
2005 to 2007
Safety and Equipment Manager
- Supervised training schedules of OSHA, MSHA, e-RailSafe, and HAZWOPER for all employees
- Maintained equipment in all branch offices
- Deployed equipment to job sites throughout the west
- Coordinated with clients on the arrival of equipment and personnel
- Supervised electrical geophysical survey at Newmont Gold Quarry, Carlin, Nevada
2003 – 2005
Field Technician / Laboratory Assistant
Zonge Engineering and Research Organization
- Conducted many long-term geophysical surveys in the western United States and Mexico
- Assisted in the company’s physical properties laboratory
Published Works (a sampling)
James Leavy: Here is Our Game, Wild West Magazine (February 2015)
Looking for Doc in Dallas, True West Magazine (December 2001)
From the Baltic Sea to the South Seas: Notes on the Construction of HMAV Bounty, The Bounty Magazine (January 2020)
Midnight in Old Mexico, Wild West Magazine (September 2018)
The Forgotten Earthquake: Tombstone's Dr. George Goodfellow Investigated the 7.6 Magnitude Earthquake that Rocked the Borderlands, The Tombstone Epitaph: National Edition (April 2019)
Battle-Tested in the Rockies: Mountain Man Patrick Gass Deserves More Attention in Accounts of the Lewis & Clark Expedition, True West Magazine (December 2018)
Like Father, Like Son? The Strange Deaths of John and Martin Ringo, National Tombstone Epitaph (March 2019)
Paragould: The Wickedest City You've Never Heard Of, National Tombstone Epitaph (November 2018)
"Yes, Here I Am Again!" Tucson's Prize Bandit of 1878: William W. Brazelton, Wild West History Association Journal (October 2010)
He's Your Huckleberry: The North Texas Travels of Doc Holliday, Weatherford Democrat (2013)
James Lee: Portrait of an Arizona Pioneer, The Tombstone Epitaph: National Edition (February 2011)
To Never Shirk a Duty: The Life & Legacy of Weatherford's Favorite Western Son, Bose Ikard, Weatherford Democrat (2014)
Reflections on Arizona's 'Lonely Half-Acre: Charles Fletcher Lummis at Fort Bowie's Historic Post Cemetery, National Tombstone Epitaph (2015)
The Stilwell Shooting Near the Tucson Depot Was Called, 'Quick Vengeance & Murder', Wild West Magazine (December 2011)
No Honor Following Officer's Deal for Geronimo's Surrender, The Tombstone Epitaph: National Edition (January 2013)
Mickey Free: Apache Captive & Free Man, Wild West Magazine (August 2013)
Death at the Depot: The Murder of Texas Ranger Homer White, Weatherford Democrat (2014)
Lone Star Loyalty: Fort Worth Business Partners & Their Allegiance to the Earp Brothers of Tombstone, Weatherford Democrat (2014)
'Be Careful, Geronimo is Nearby': A Texas Cattleman Witnesses the End of the Apache Wars, National Tombstone Epitaph (2015)
The Australian Connection: How a 1909 Paragould Murder Created a First-Generation Australian Family, Paragould Daily Press (2014)
Narratives Examine Geronimo's 1886 Surrender, The Tombstone Epitaph: National Edition (October 2013)
Exile Down Under, Weatherford Democrat (2014)
Gunfight on the Green Cloth: Weatherford Deputy Marshals Burn Hot Lead with Local Ranch Hands in Classic Old West Battle, Weatherford Democrat (2013)
Brazen William Brazelton: Tracking an Elusive Western Stage Robber, The Tombstone Epitaph: National Edition (March 2014)
Johnny Murphy: Irish Gambler on the Arizona Frontier, Wild West History Association Journal (July 2014)
When the Roulette Wheels Spun Until Dawn: The Venerable Crystal Palace Saloon, National Tombstone Epitaph (2014)
David Gibson: Boy Soldier, Gambler, Man-Killer, Wild West History Association Journal (August 2014)
The McLaury Brothers: From Texas to Tombstone (three-part series), Weatherford Democrat (2013)
"Nervy" Phil Foote: Hell Raiser of the High-Desert & the Amargosa, Journal of the West (Fall 2016)
Lev Terry: A 20th-Century Lawman, Weatherford Democrat (2014) Adam Parker: A Short & Violent Life, Weatherford Democrat (2014)
Leo Schmucker: Lawman in the Transitional West & The Lewis Reynolds Killers, GCHGS Quarterly and Wild West History Association Journal (2014)
The Top & Bottom Gang in Arizona: A Documentary History, Wild West History Association Journal (2014)
Fighting Men of Proved Metal: Residents of New South Wales Read of 1920 Ranger Reunion in Weatherford, Weatherford Democrat (2015)
Mysterious Voyage of the Mercury: In the Wake of the Bounty Mutiny the Brigantine's Role Remains Unclear, The Bounty Magazine (Fall 2016)
Borderman Harry Ramsey, Weatherford Democrat (2016)
Fresh Light on the Death of Highwayman Bill Brazelton: A Critical Review of Secondary Sources, Journal of the West (Winter 2017)
The Luck of the Irish: Johnny Murphy Had it on His Side in His Fight Against Jim Leavy, National Tombstone Epitaph (2017)
Davis Tutt: Dead Man Walking - From Arkansas' Bloody Tutt-Everett War to Burning Lead with Wild Bill Hickok, National Tombstone Epitaph (December 2017)
"The Worst Shot Up Man I Ever Saw" Frank Stilwell Paid a Price for the Death of an Earp, National Tombstone Epitaph (April 2018)
Thomas Mulqueen: Two-Fisted Gambler, Wild West History Association Journal (Spring 2018)
The Kellogg-Justice Mine War: An Episode of Explosive Violence on the Comstock Lode, Wild West History Association Journal (Spring 2021)
Some Notes on William Purcell: Cantankerous Carpenter of the Bounty? The Bounty Magazine (Spring 2021)
The One True Home: A Father, His Son, and the Vanishing West (forthcoming)
Sickness of the Heart: Along the Route of Conquest as Told by the Participants (2021)
West of Hell: The Badmen, Hardcases & Intrepid Lawmen Who Made the West Wild (2019)
A Wyatt Earp Anthology: Long May His Story Be Told (University of North Texas Press, 2019 - contributor)
Policing the Underworld: The Life of San Francisco Detective Arthur McQuaide in the Golden Age of Vice & Violence (foreword by Samuel K. Dolan), 2018
Phil Foote: Lawman, Outlaw... Hell-Raiser (foreword by John Boessenecker), 2017
Main Street Mayhem: Crime, Murder & Justice in Downtown Paragould, 1888-1932 (foreword by Dan Stidham), 2016
Gamblers, Guns, & Gavels: Collected Works on Arizona Gambling Violence (foreword by Peter Brand, epilogue by Casey Tefertiller), 2015
Papers Presented & Symposia
“The Polyculturalism of Mickey Free” Fort Verde State Historic Park, Camp Verde, Arizona (2010)
“Mickey Free: Apache Captive, Army Scout” Adobe Corral of Westerners, Tucson, Arizona (2011)
“’Here is Our Game’ The Murder of Gunman James Leavy” Tombstone Territory Rendezvous, Tombstone, Arizona (2012)
“Exile Down Under: How a 1909 Paragould Murder Prompted a Nationwide Manhunt and Spawned a First-Generation Australian Family” Greene County Public Library, Paragould, Arkansas (2014)
“Fresh Light on the Surrender of Geronimo” Tombstone Territory Rendezvous, Tombstone, Arizona (2013)
“Blood in the Ozarks: Family, Politics, and the Largest Feud in Arkansas History” Wild West History Association convention, Springfield, Missouri (2018)
“The Gunfight at the O.K. Corral: 137th Anniversary Lecture” Greene County Public Library, Paragould, Arkansas (2018)
“The Final Moments of the Apache Wars and the Grassroots Movement to Recognize Heroism” Greene County Public Library, Paragould, Arkansas (2018)
“Ethnicity, Liquor, and Bullets: James Leavy vs. Charlie Harrison in Downtown Cheyenne, 1877” Wild West History Association convention, Cheyenne Wyoming (2019)
(book reading) “Sickness of the Heart: Along the Route of Conquest as Told by the Participants” Greene County Public Library, Paragould, Arkansas (2021)
Wild West History Association
English Westerners’ Society
Oregon-California Trails Association
Wyoming State Historical Society
Royal Historical Society (elected member, 2017)
Pitcairn & Norfolk Islands Society
Arizona Archaeological Council (past member)
Arizona Geological Society (past member)
International Association of Emergency Managers (past board member)
Arkansas Emergency Management Association (past board member)
Arkansas Floodplain Management Association
Arkansas Governor’s Earthquake Advisory Council (elected member)
Arkansas State Citizen Corps (board member)
Northeast Arkansas Office of Emergency Response Systems
Greene County Public Library Board
2016 Wild West History Association Best Article on Western History
2019 Arkansas Emergency Management Director of the Year (AEMA)
Winner of 12 Arkansas Press Association Awards (2014 – 2016)
Recipient of the 2021 Lola Homsher Research Grant (Wyoming State Historical Society)
© Copyright Erik Wright - Historian